The James G. Davis Construction and Gilford Joint Venture (Davis/Gilford) served as General Contractors for construction of Progression Place, a new 380,000 sf mixed-use development anchored by the United Negro College Fund (UNCF) at the corner of 7th and T Streets, NW, in Washington’s Greater U Street Historic District.
The project encompassed construction of a 7-story office building (120,000 sf), a 9-story residential tower comprised of 200+ rental units (200,000 sf), retail and entertainment venues (38,000 sf), and below-grade parking (90,000 sf on 2½ levels). The LEED Silver project was constructed over Metro’s Green Line and the entrance to the Shaw-Howard University Metro Station is in the building plaza, thus requiring significant coordination with WMATA during construction.
The project also encompassed reuse of ten historic buildings as retail and restaurants and demolition of one existing building. The façade of 1849 7th Street, NW was retained and restored. The residential tower is sited behind the historic buildings that define the intersection of 7th and T Streets to preserve the site’s historic nature.
Gilford provided Preconstruction and Design Assist services for over five years including assisting the Developer in formulating a construction program that was compliant with the project’s Proforma concept and plan. Gilford additionally served as General Contractor for the interior build-out of UNCF space (approximately 50,000 sf on 4-1/2 floors).